Friday, 24 May 2013

The journey behind, the journey ahead

So the final part of my degree is almost here, and I've been thinking over the past while about what my work is really about and I think it's all about journeys.  And the more I look at my previous work, the more it seems so obvious!  In particular, I've been thinking about some of the most influential artists I've looked at (and by that I mean who have influenced me) and I think about Emily Mennerdahl, Ori Gersht, Richard Long, Ingrid Calame, Jem Southam, Anthony Gormley  and others, who have all made work in some way about journeys, maps, a sense of place.

And I don't believe for one minute that this is where my journey ends, it's really only another beginning.  I have several ideas about journeys that I want to continue working on, in particular:

  • Suffolk - after watching Patience recently, P bought me The Rings of Saturn.  Suffolk is only slightly further down the coast from the sites of coastal erosion I visited earlier in 4th year so I want to go back to those, and to perhaps find some of Sebald references from the book.
  • The Lister Route - I'm still haunted by Ori Gersht's Evaders film about the Lister Route and Walter Benjamin's escape from the Nazis via this route from France into Spain.  I don't quite know what this research will entail, but I want to follow up on it and find out so much more about Benjamin and the Route.
  • The Santiago de Compastelo - the Camino Pilgrimage.  I'm not much of an outdoorsy type (!), but I enjoy my coastal path walking, so I'm not ruling out the idea of one day walking at least some of this route.  I'm intrigued by the idea of pilgrimage - the why and the how.
  • A Map of Too Much Land - this is a collaboration that T and I are going to begin this year hopefully.  I've mentioned many times that although our work is very different, the underlying themes are very similar.  We're hoping to do a project from our 2 coast lines - mine in Fife and Angus, hers in Denmark - which are almost opposite each other across the North Sea.  The details have yet to be decided, but it will be a mixed media project and I think some really interesting work will come out of it.  Am really looking forward to it.

I guess that now degree is almost over, the real work begins...

0 comments:

Post a Comment